Institut für Informatik III
Rheinische Friedrich-Wilhelms-Universität Bonn
Systemgruppe Angewandte Informatik
|Notes about/against Phishing:
- We do not contact our mail users via email to request that they "verify their accounts" or "increase their storage space" etc.
- We do not request mail users to send their login credentials via email or to give access codes to unknown programs, URLs, embedded links, etc they usually do not use!
Login credentials are meant for the purpose of authentication while using our well-known services - passwords are not meant to be a substitute of signs of life.
- In general: be alert to phishing messages! Verify the legitimacy of the information first before acting. Verify through other channels if you smell anything fishy !
- If you feel someone else is knowing your password, change it immediately in all places you are using it!
(Afterwards you might consider contacting your systems group and firstname.lastname@example.org if you believe that someone else has misused / manipulated your account)
Web based access to our email services:
Click here to go to mailbox.iai.uni-bonn.de main menu
- SquirrelMail (authentication failure -> SGN account renewed?
- Feel free to bookmark this page but please do not bookmark deeper pages !
- Authentication: if unsure about which userid/password you have to use,
ask your local / account managing systems group. (Students: SGN)
Broadly speaking (especially if you are a computer science student, use your central computer science UNIX userid and password (usually SGN) to sign in.
- If you are experiencing authentication problems:
- Check your userid/password.
- Try accessing another service you are authenticating against the same authentication base (userid/password), i.e., SSH into your account.
Contact the system group administering your account if you cannot log in. Your account might be locked, disabled or removed (no
account renewal, exmatrikulation, employment contracts expiration, ...)
- Resetting lost passwords is not in Postmaster's scope - contact your systems group (once again: Students -> SGN)
- Your UNIX userid and Windows userid and your UNIX password and your Windows password might be same but the UNIX userid and password combo rulez!
(Notice: it might take up to 1 hour for changed passwords to become effective)
- Length of userid less or equal 8 characters, all lowercase, no complete email addresses with @...
- Email address: typically this computer science userid followed by @informatik.uni-bonn.de. Adresses beginning with s6 or something like that are usually not computer science but Uni-ID email address.
- Deleting messages: Move To Trash is automatically skipped when mailbox capacity would be exceeded
while copying the message to the Trash. (message is deleted immediately)
- Information for new user / if you cannot access all parts of your Options:
- Sign in to this service with your credentials described before
- Click on "Pruning ..." (from the Options menu)
- Optionally: choose appropriate settings (now or later)
- Sign out and sign in again to activate full control.
9 out of 10 spam-messages to local addresses do not confirm to protocol requirements etc
and cannot be accepted by our mail exchangers - no activity needed on your side.
(i.e.: without doing anything else against spam - for each message in your
mailbox in reality statistically 9 more have been addressed to your addresses!)
Effective for messages addressed to your local addresses immediately, not forwarded ones!
(i.e. if you forward messages from one address/server to your local
address things are likely to be adjusted for this transfer)
In turn 90% the acceptable messages (often sent by other regular mail servers) are globally
considered spam as well.
Our services add a score to each message indicating one potential "spam-likelihood".
This is just an assumption and we cannot and we do not say that a message is spam or not!
If you like you can sort out or discard messages with a given score (or higher) you choose personally.
for more information (german for now).